Friday, August 21, 2015

My Bible.. So far

I created a video with Flipagram of the pages in my Bible that I've journal so far.  I hope that you enjoy looking through it.  Below the video, I'm sharing a view thoughts that I'm having as I'm reflecting on my Bible journaling experience so far.
 

So as I looked through this video of all my Bible journaling pages, this is what I noticed:

  • I don't really stick to one style of type of medium.  I like variety.  I think that's why I became an elementary art teacher.  I never really had a stand out favorite art media; I loved to do everything! 

  • I gravitate to journaling in the New Testament pages the most.  I've done a few Old Testament pages, but not nearly as many.  I think that's because I'm not quite as confident in my knowledge/interpretations of the Old Testament, so that may be an area that I need to grow in over the next year. 

  • I recognize the HUGE difference in the quality of my first pages compared to my most recent pages.  I felt as though I struggled much more to find an idea of how to illustrate my pages, and now my ideas generally come pretty naturally.  I think that part of that is attributed to just creating more art.  I remember when I took art classes in college, I just felt so much more creative, because I had to be in that mindset.  When I'm working with my students, I'm investing so much in myself that I don't always get to stop and create something that I want.  The other reason that I think it's getting easier to journal in my Bible is due to the amazing products that I've purchased from Illustrated Faith.  Each month, Illustrated Faith produces an amazing stamp set and devotional by an artist, which is available to purchase on their Etsy shop.  The devotionals give such encouraging words and testimonies, and the stamps allow you to create your pages a bit more quickly!  I also broke down and purchased the Illustrated Faith Genesis Kit from Bella Blvd.  The kit features some cool tools; alphabet stickers in various different colors and fonts; and stickers with words, labels and tabs.  I honestly debated buying this kit for a month, because it was a bit pricey, but once again, it has an amazing little devotional and it enables me to create a page much more quickly.  I'm thinking that I'll be using this kit much more throughout my super busy school year!

  • Finally, my favorite thing as I reflect on my Bible journaling experience so far is that I have someone talk to me about my pages everyday.  And I'm not getting all excited just to be getting compliments about my art, but I'm getting excited because I'm able to worship my God and share it with others.  If you know me, then you know that I'm a quiet person.  I'm not one to vie for the spotlight and speak my mind, but my Bible journaling experience has given me a voice to talk about my faith in my own way.  I feel so honored to know that my experience is inspiring others to buy journaling Bibles, begin reading in the Word, and creating art.  God is so good, and I've felt so blessed through this journey so far. 

To close this post, I'd like to hear comments of any of my Bible pages that you'd like me to do a future post about.  I'd love to share with you my supplies, techniques and thoughts behind any of these pages!

No comments: