Saturday, August 2, 2014

Art Room Tour


I'm an art educator.  I teach elementary art.  And while there a days that I feel completely defeated by my job (who doesn't?!), I love it when I think about the fact that I get paid to cultivate a love of art with students and create beautiful things all day long!

I will try to periodically post lesson plans and resources for art education, but since it's summer, I will share some photos from my art room. 


Here's a little information about my school:
  • This will be the 6th year that our building is open, and I have taught at this school since then.
  • They actually remodeled our school last year, and I got a completely new art room.  We also have 2 art rooms in my school, but we do not yet have enough students to hire a 2nd art teacher (Boo!).
  • My principal is awesome, and asked them to paint my room when it was added on last year.  I had to choose between 5 colors that were already in our school.


Decor in my previous room.

Close up of my window coverings. 
 I simply sewed together bandannas and attached them to the blinds with Velcro.


My husband got me all of these purple and orange pieces when he worked at Petsmart.
I created a secondary color scheme desert scene above the cabinets.

Of course, I had the primary colors represented with these crayon "piggy banks".

I used fake flowers and painted terra cotta pots to show complimentary colors.

I made this awesome rug cover with bandannas.  Unfortunately, I did not survive the year so well.

Before photo of my "new" art room from last year.

The back wall of my room.

The door is to my storage closet, plus sinks and cabinets.

The front wall of my room, including projector screen, whiteboard and a bulletin board.

And the after, thanks to a lot of help from my Dad and husband!


I made these tissue paper flowers for our wedding reception party and reused them around the doorway in my classroom.  They've held up really well, and the kid don't really mess with them.

I reused the complimentary flower pots from my previous room.


...And the window coverings!  I found these papel picado banners in San Antonio.


After all of the moving, unpacking and redecorating last summer, I don't plan on making too many changes in my room with year except for the bulletin boards and table arrangement.

I hope you enjoyed the tour of my art room(s)!  I will try to post some more close ups and techniques that I use in future posts.



No comments: